John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

3/05/2008

Update

I think it has been a while since I've updated you on me. Yeah, you have received valuable NFL predictions. You have seen my opinions, but not much on me. And since my name is on this blog, I feel like I have a right, nay - an obligation to do so. Plus, I will not feel guilty or boastful from doing so. Ok, maybe a little due to my Catholic upbringing. But, with that factor, there is guilt in every aspect of life.
First, the good news. I am alive to write this blog. Each day is a blessing and I am extremely grateful for it. In fact, today I just beat my previous record for consecutive days stayed alive! I should host a party, yet it is too late to call people.
I am happier today than I was yesterday. (Not technically yesterday, but you know what I mean!) In life, joy is key. True joy, mind you. Joy founded in life in general and The Light.
I have a degree in radio. That doesn't mean much to the professional world. If I could do it all over, I would have partied at EIU while getting a degree in teaching. However, I have to deal with what I have. So, I prayed for an opportunity. I thought this would come in the world of radio. Instead, it came in the world of teaching.
I now have a job as a college teacher and am loving every minute of teaching. I teach radio. Who knew this would be where I would end up at this point in my life? Not I. The only thing that I don't care for is the grading. Mid-Terms are coming up and I'm not looking forward to grading. It would be great to just teach without having to grade the students. However, with everything come positives and negatives. Luckily, the positives outweigh the negatives.
It is thanks to teaching that I am now living comfortable. Money is not that much of an issue anymore. Thank God. Literally. I prayed for an answer and God provided. It was up to me to realize this and take advantage of it. God will provide opportunity, it is up to us to do the footwork to make it a reality.
This financial security has always been somewhat of a mental hindrance for me. I have always thought, once I'm comfortable, then I can proceed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying a mansion soon, but I'm comfortable. Now, I can focus on the other aspects of my life. Mainly, someone to share my life with.
My sister is getting married this year. I am so VERY happy for her. Her wedding will undoubtedly mark the best day of the year for me. While I will miss her last name, I welcome her husband with incredible joy.
It is her finding of the perfect guy that caused me to think about who the perfect girl for me might be. I realized that what matters most is who she is. (Sounds silly, but follow me on this one!) I made a list that included sarcasm, humor, Catholic, looks and finds me funny. None of these are more important than the other. But, one thing I found interesting on my list was Catholic. I realized that my faith was important and that it was something that I wasn't willing to compromise. I told my other sister "You were born an Irish Catholic Bears fan. That will never change." She realized the importance of this and followed Da Bears these past two seasons. All the while, going to church and respecting St. Patrick's Day.
So, long story short, an old friend named Laura told me of Catholic Singles.com. I had never heard of this and thought, I don't want to meet up with anyone that hangs out in the bar that I do. I don't want to meet anyone at the places I work at. And meeting someone at church is difficult. "Don't worry about it, honey. I'll put her donation in the plate." It is tough!
I decided that I would give it a shot. It was only $12 to join for the month. I had a date with a girl named Laura. We went to mass (makes sense, right? See if she knows all the words or if she got Catholic Singles.com mixed up with J-Date by accident) and then went for ice cream and walked along the river for a bit. We talked on a bench and she just didn't understand me. My sense of humor didn't jive with her and I realized that this wasn't the one.
I have been told to let women down easy. I used to say "Talk to you soon" or "See you later" at the end of dates. I was told that they expect to actually see me later if I say that. Then after waiting for weeks by the phone for my call, they get upset when I don't call for another date. I didn't know. So, I now leave bad dates with "Thanks for today/tonight. I had fun. Best of luck to you." What they may realize later is that the luck I wish them is with someone else. But, at least I didn't lead them on again.
Today I have been talking with a girl named Libby. (Elizabeth is her full name) We have been talking via text for a month now. Our schedules have never had the opportunity to meet. That is until this Friday. After talking for a month, we will finally meet. This may be a do or die situation, but we have made a considerable connection over conversation thus far, or at least as far as I can tell. I'm excited, because she has kept up with me intellectually, she's Catholic and I have seen many pictures of her to validate her physical aspects.
She is (as of this weekend) 30, so she is older than me, but I think that works in my favor. Her goals, aspirations and objectives in life should relate to me a whole lot more than someone in their early 20's or something.
While I may have put a little stock into this potential relationship, I feel confident that this may be something more special than what I have experienced before. Plus, her being Catholic will eliminate so many roadblocks that I would have had to deal with had she been some other religion or no religion at all.
Should things go well over a few beers on Friday, we will go to the Museum of Science and Industry on Saturday. This will offer us an opportunity to discuss the exhibits, should the conversation lull. A small two or three beers on Friday is nothing for me. Using the material that I have already revealed on this site, I should be able to keep any conversation going on Friday for at least an hour or two.
Being interesting is the main concerns on either side of the table. While this may be somewhat of a job interview for me, it is for her too. If a woman doesn't find me funny, then I don't think that I can be with her. If that connection isn't made, then the true aspect of me is not reached and that is the main point of finding someone to be with. Let alone "the one" or something great like that.
Should I find someone worthy of being "the one," I don't think that I would consider anything like a ring for at least two years. No matter how many trips to Jarred she would take me to. (Look that up if you are an out-of-town reader.)
But, long story short, (I guess I should have said that earlier) she's Catholic and has an interesting personality. She has a few get-out-of-jail-free cards stored up that will help her in our potential relationship. More on this after it occurs.
Now, on to the bad news. Typing this to you is a pain. Not in the sense that I don't want to do it, but that I'm in physical pain. The reason being that I broke my left arm. Yup. The radius.
I was dog-sitting for friends of mine when I took the dog for a walk in between shifts at my waiter job. The dog decided that he wanted to go faster than I thought he wanted to go and pulled my legs out from under me. While I held onto his leash with my right hand, my left hand caught my fall while smushing my radius. Just below the wrist my radius bows out in all directions. A crack formed from the right and headed up the center of the bone to the cartilage between the bone and the wrist.
The doctor feared that there may be a bone that is hanging out free knocking against other bones and there may have been damage to the cartilage causing necessary reconstructive surgery. Luckily this was not the case and I will only be in a cast for roughly a month.
But, this scenario has provided for me an opportunity to appreciate what I once had in mobility of two functioning arms. I thank God for this humility that He has offered me. Plus, it gets me out of a lot of useless work at the national chain restaurant that I work for.
Wow, this is a long post. I will save other stuff for later. Just know that I am happier today than I was yesterday and that I really look forward to tomorrow. For, nothing but great things do I expect.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Christa said…

    Thanks for the nice comment this morning! Glad to hear things are going in the right direction for you! Good luck on friday. Also, hope your arm heals quickly. Glad to know that God is taking care of you. He is amazing, isn't he?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home