John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

2/05/2008

A Quote From An Interesting Place

"Time spent wishing is time spent wasted."

-The Janitor, "Scrubs"
(actually he was quoting his mother-grandmother, but that isn't as interesting as the quote.)

Doing is always better than wishing. And that's explained my last few months. I've gotten a great deal accomplished. I took my radio resume to a college in Chicago and told them that I was willing to teach Digital Audio Production. The head of the department asked me "You feel you know Digital Audio Production?" And if you know me, I don't brag much. I feel it isn't a very good trait for one to have. However, I was in the interview to get the job and sell myself to the program, so I responded "I'll impress the hell out of you." He leaned back in the chair like the guy in the Maxwell Tape logo and said "That's what I wanted to hear!" He then asked me if I always wore a suit or if I put one on that day to impress him. I then asked him "That's kind of why I showed up today."
So, each Monday night from 6-9:30 I teach a Digital Audio Production class. I found out recently that they have a program on Saturdays that teaches on-air techniques to high school students. So, I told him that I would do that as well. He looked at me as if he hadn't considered me for the job. I let him know that I used to TA for an on-air class as well as taught interns and co-workers how to be on the air. Starting in March, I will be doing that as well. He mentioned in passing that he was looking for someone to do imaging for the college station (that is, being the guy who talks in between the songs just to say "WXYZ, Chicago - Today's Best Polka And Nothing Else!" The job is really easy and it would take me roughly 2 hours a month to do.) I'm now in the running for that as well.
In December, I had no affiliation with that college or station. Now, I have two jobs there and am working on a third. They also gave me a nifty parking pass that opens the gate WHENEVER I want.
All this because I decided I wanted that job and I went after it. I did instead of wished. My next goal is to send out demo tapes to every Chicago radio station by the end of the month. Then once again after the Spring book. (That way when they realize that their current DJ's aren't cutting it, I can be the resume on their desk when they start looking for someone else.)
Also, I have a potential date on Friday with one girl and I'm about to make a phone call that should give me a date with another on Saturday. Don't really know much about either, but I'm looking forward to meeting both of them. They each seem to fit my qualifications of being sarcastic/funny and smart. As well as being attractive. Oh, and one is definitely Catholic and the other is definitely Irish. If there is a combination of the two in one of 'em, it could be game, set, match.
If things go really well with both of them, I will invest in a Jello wrestling ring to determine a clear winner. Oh, who am I kidding. Jello wrestling never solved anything. It just starts things.
As of right now, I'm working at the college, still working for the restaurant and still DJing weddings and stuff. I essentially will have five jobs. AND I'm going to increase my time at the restaurant today. I will pick up lunch shifts as well as dinner shifts to give me more hours. I need to have an average of 20 per week to maintain my health insurance. As far as January is concerned, I think I worked there 7 hours total.
Essentially, after a long period of time wasted, things are really starting to come together. I love teaching and look forward to the new position(s) that I will have there. I am still able to maintain all that I once had as well as take on new possibilities. I haven't wished in a while. It feels much better to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home