John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

11/11/2006

Update

I realized that I haven't written about myself in a while. So, here it goes.
My friend Luke (You can link to his many blogs off of my site) has just accepted a job in Savannah Georgia. He will be doing nights on a rock station out there. It is because of this that he was able to quit his awful call center job (The one that he and I started together. I got out after only two months or so) and he quit his weekend job at a local Chicago radio station.
I now have two friends living in Georgia. One in Atlanta. The other will soon be in Savannah. I have been looking for a reason for a small vacation and I think with two friends out in Georgia, I have found it. I was going to go to the West coast to visit a friend, but that never came to pass, so a plane ticket out to Atlanta and a 3 hour car ride to Savannah may be my next vacation. We are probably looking at March. I am told that their St. Pat's day celebration is a lot of fun.
Me? I'm still working at the restaurant. I come home each day exhausted. I use this as a motivator to find other work. I'm currently applying at places that I don't even think I want to work at, but it is more money. So, it seems like a fair trade-off. More money, but disliking my job the same amount. This makes it slightly more than just a lateral move.
I was getting ready to leave work today when the "Shift Lead" (This is a fellow server that makes sure that your area is up to code before you leave.) told me that my sugars were wrong. Yup. Something wrong with the sugars. I was just as confused as you are. So I took a look at them. They looked fine. I put them right back in their little holders and said that things are great. She looked again. She said they were not. I was getting a little aggravated at this point. I demanded clarification on why the sugar packets were so very, very wrong.
She let me know that the name of the restaurant on each sugar packet needs to be facing a certain way and read from top to bottom when they are horizontally placed in their holders. The look on my face must have told her that I felt this was the dumbest thing I had heard in months. She reminded me that this was the way that "we always did it." I had never heard this before and hope to never hear it again.
So, I went back to sorting the damn packets. It is always at this part of my day that I have the dreaded personal reflection time. It is in this quiet, brain-numbing task that I begin to analyze where I went wrong. I'm 27 years old, college educated, talented in many fields that this job does not require and I'm taking orders from a 21 year old who has an unhealthy fixation on sugar. I then fantasize about throwing down the sugars and walking out of there. I'm scared that one day I will have a gun with me in one of these random day dreams.
Then, like a bad CBS sitcom, one of the sugar packets burst open while I'm jamming them back into their little containers. I figured I had cleaned enough for that day and just swept it onto the floor. I went back to her and she reminded me that it should only take 20-25 minutes for us to do all the extra crap at the end of our shift. I'm surprised I didn't hit her in the face. I just looked her in the eye and smiled. Didn't say anything. She then asked if I had dusted the hanging lights. I continued to smile. She didn't know what to think, so she just signed my release and I was able to check out for the day.
I will have to remember that one for the future.
What is the purpose of that? Who walks into the restaurant, turns to the server and says "I look forward to enjoying my time spent here. I look forward to many future visits with co-workers, friends, family and - wait a minute. I see that your sugar packets are not uniform. The 17th one from the right is upside down. Bring your manager to me. I need to tell him or her why I will be taking my business elsewhere and never returning to your poorly-run establishment ever again." We would have to close out of pure embarrassment.
Everything else, I understand. I see it's purpose. This, however - is pointless.
Elsewhere at work, this person is dating this person. This person just broke up with this person. This person doesn't want to work with these four people because they are ex's, annoying and/or smell funny. It is all a great deal of drama. I dig it. I'm so glad that I'm not involved with any of it. Instead I nudge the regular drama queens and kings just so slightly, then back off and watch the show. (So, how are you and ____ doing? or Did ____ work this morning? or Did ____ get those personally embarrassing test results back yet?) It's usually better than TV. Usually.
I have e-mailed several radio stations in Chicagoland with hopes of getting a job. Two have e-mailed me back saying that they enjoyed my stuff, but don't have any openings right now. Of course. Oh, well. I will just continue to e-mail them until they give me a shot. That's the best way to go about it, right? Harassment into employment? Surely one day they will look with favor on my electronic mail.
So, nothing has changed much. Still doing what I was the last time I gave you an update. Soon, things will change. Just not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home