John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

5/02/2006

VH1 Promotes Cloning

So, I just wrote about MTV earlier and now I'm onto VH1. There's something I like about VH1. I don't know what it is. The whole "I Love Toys" type of show (They had one for the 90's, 70's and about 16 for the 80's.) I become addicted to.
Anyway, I was watching it today as a back up channel. (I have back-up channels for the commercial breaks on my primary show) They were doing some sort of weekly count-down of the hottest songs in the nation right now. Some were decent, but none really struck me as great. Then I began to notice a trend. It began with this punk named Daniel Powter. (That is his actual picture on the right!) He sings this whinny-ass song called "Bad Day."
Then there were about 15,000 other artists that were dressed just like him and just as whinny. You know the kind. Where it looks almost painful for them to sing their songs in the music video. (If it's that painful, perhaps you should look into a different career choice, dumbass.) They all follow the Justin Timberlake trend. The whole preppie, not matching clothes, whinny white boy pop crap.
I was talking with my friend Luke a few months ago about music today. It sucks. It's so formulaic and generic. Very few artists break the mold. And as soon as they do, there are 26.3 others who follow right behind them. Are we just getting old, or does the music of today really suck that much?!
I'm hoping that it just sucks. I want to go back to the days of Collective Soul, Soundgarden and Live. I want Sir Mix-A-Lot and MC Hammer to get back into things. I need Run DMC to sing with Aerosmith again. Hell, the New Kids On The Block are better than some of these whinny preppies posing as "artists."
There's a Nelly song out called "Grills" that annoys the hell out of me. If you accidently stumble on this music video - CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY!!! It's a bunch of rappers flashing their diamond and platinum teeth. It is disgusting. And in the song it is apparent that Nelly has issues hearing. Because there is a girl that will ask him to show his "grills" and he responds "You wanna see my what?" She then becomes aggravated that he didn't hear her and asks him "how much did you pay?" Again he is unable to hear her and answers back with "What?" She then goes back to her original question. Nelly! If you are reading this, and I know you are, sell an incisor and buy a hearing aid!
This is music? This is absolute crap. To make it worse, one of my co-workers, Alissa, has it as her ring-back tone on her phone. So each time I call her I hear this god-awful song instead of a phone ringing. I can't take it. Music today SUCKS!
Or maybe I'm just an old man.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Looney73 said…

    If you are old, what does that make me (and I am only 5 years older than you)?!
    I personally do not listen to any modern day music or radio stations. At work, our radio is set on the Oldies Channel (Chicago 94.7). They play 50s, 60s, 70s, ans 80s music. I think our forefathers had great foresight into music and just played music. Now adays, VERY few newer bands grab my attention. They just don't play with the feelings and emotions that older bands and artists like Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, and U2 play(ed) with. One exception to this has been Smashmouth and that is probable because they have that 60s and 70s sound to them. A song about "grills" may be funny, but is also demeaning and does not paint a good picture of black people or anyone for that matter that have teeth like that.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger John Mc. said…

    Don't let my friend Luke find out that you listen to 94.7 He was a part of that station before it flipped formats and he lost his job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home