John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

12/27/2008

Happy Holidays

I spent way too much money this Christmas. Every time I thought I was done, I would remember someone else. It was even on Christmas Eve that I remembered I got nothing for my neighbors and went out to get a small box of chocolates. (Although, I must say that this is to put some minty chocolates in their mouths to make it more difficult to call in another noise complaint.)
One thing I noticed while shopping was that not once did I hear "Happy Holidays." I was so very impressed. I heard "Merry Christmas" from everyone who wished me well in a timely manner. I didn't know that this was allowed. Plus in the service industry, one may run the risk of upsetting someone of a different faith. (However, I doubt that many people will get their feathers ruffled over the well-wishes of someone just trying to make it through their shift.) What a great turn of events in the "war on Christmas." I think I will have to write O'Reily to alert him that he no longer has to yell. He (and we) will be so relieved.
I have also noticed that as one grows older, things shift. When receiving was the big deal as a child, giving has become a greater joy for me. Don't get me wrong, I like getting stuff (contact me for ways you can assist with this) but, I really enjoyed giving stuff this year. Just today I will be heading off to my aunt's house to give her and my God Son, Max, some presents. I can't wait. I don't even care what or if they got me anything.
I have also been told that I'm difficult to shop for. (Cash is always a welcome option) I think it's because I really don't want anything. I'm a minimalist. I don't need much to be happy. A Bears win and a few cold beers and I'm set. I don't need to watch the game on a 755" HD LCD TV. (Also a welcome option) I don't need to sip the expensive wine. (My palate won't appreciate it anyway.) I don't need the newest downloads. (I still don't have an MP3 player)
I am content with the way things are. However, I am excited at making things better in the future. I have a solid foundation for advancement and for that I am grateful. I have a great social network of incredible friends. (I even have some great ones three hours south of me!) I love each member of my family and enjoy each moment I have with them. Even most of my co-workers are alright.
Essentially, I have all that I will ever need and most of what I want.
Merry Christmas.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Looney73 said…

    Happy Holidays, er, ah, I mean Merry Christmas John! Hope Santa brings you some radio opps for the new year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home