John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

7/20/2007

Nachos? Nectarines? You've Got To Be Kidding Me!

I've calmed down a little bit, so I can discuss this now. Pluto is no longer a planet. Why? Terminology. Read the National Geographic article here. It essentially says that the new definition of the term "planet" does not include Pluto.
The article says: "According to the new definition, a full-fledged planet is an object that orbits the sun and is large enough to have become round due to the force of its own gravity. In addition, a planet has to dominate the neighborhood around its orbit. Pluto has been demoted because it does not dominate its neighborhood."
Bull. Pluto has been a planet my entire life. I refuse to let it go. My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas was the way I memorized the planets. Everyone had something similar to this to remember Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus (giggle), Neptune and PLUTO!
Now, My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine... Nine WHAT?! The sentence no longer makes sense!
The only way the sentence could make sense is to change "Nine" to some other food. But, what food begins with "N?" All I could come up with is Nectarines. However, that's too obscure to remember.
I just got back from lunch with Kate, (a.k.a. K-Lo, Katie From The Block) and asked her for other foods that begin with "N." She came up with "Noodles." Which is better than Nectarines, but still doesn't feel right. I then thought about it a bit more and came up with "Nachos," which sounds better, but with the whole illegal immigration thing, you have to be careful with Mexican cuisine. Plus, never in my 27 years on this planet (Excellent) has my Mother (Mars) ever served me Nachos (Neptune). Every kid has been served pizzas and has prayed for the day that nine of them show up. No kid has ever really wished beyond hope for nachos.
So, to make all things right with the world, bring Pluto back, you eggheads! You are turning my world upside down!

Fun Pluto facts that will be lost within a generation or so: Pluto was discovered at Lowell University in Arizona in 1930. This was a year after Chicago's Adler Planetarium opened it's doors. On it's main door, the planetarium has the symbols for the first 8 planets, but not Pluto's because of it's late discovery. It has always remained that way and thus will make it convenient to remove Pluto from everyone's memory. Bastards.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home