John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

12/15/2005

Respect

Been thinking about this for a long time and realized that respect for one's self is key to happiness. And without respect for yourself, others will probably not respect you either. Everyone else seems to be able to pick up on it.
Where is this exhibited? In your work is an obvious place. In what you do at your job or school, how you keep yourself and your home and how you interact with others. Do you have respect for the product that you put forth? Is it the best that it can be? Did you just wing it, or did you give it your all? This is a measure of self-respect.
Your interactions with others is also a key measure of respect. I have dated a great deal in the past year. But, never did I ever date someone exclusively and saw someone else on the side. This is cheating. Did I ever go on dates with several women at the same time? Sure. But, never while we were exclusive. This only comes back to haunt you. Either when they find out (and they usually do) or it slowly eats at you on the inside. While you try to lead a double, triple (or more) life, you begin to wonder if the effort(s) that you are putting forth are worth it. And guilt begins to creep up as you cheat others. Sleep is more difficult and you don't feel as happy as you could with a sound relationship.
That is my goal. A sound relationship with respect. Respect for myself, respect for her, her respect for me and her respect for herself must be key. I have friends who are dating several people at the same time. I couldn't do that. I couldn't live with myself. I know people who don't give their all at work/school. I couldn't do that. I know people who don't keep themselves and their world in a respectable manner. I can't imagine that.
In my continued quest for happiness in life, this is one of the small truths that I've come across. I have people in my life that I respect. I respect me. And I demand respect from those around me, but I realize that this must be earned through my actions and interactions.
Simple really, but why is it so difficult for others to realize? Oh, well. It doesn't effect me. Perhaps my cold attitude towards those I have lost respect for will make a lot of things easier. That part I haven't decided yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home