John Mc

This is a collection of my thoughts. Some of the thoughts that I once had, I no longer do. Some thoughts I have now I have never had. Yet none shal be discounted. This blog is soley for the enjoyment of the author and the readers. On occasion the views expressed are overly exagerated in order to prove a point. Also there may be a dirty word or thought in some of the posts. Grow up and take this for what it's worth - a blog that barely anyone will ever see.

3/26/2008

Maybe? No. It's many "Yeses" from above.

I'm watching a show on the Science Channel about the potential for life outside of our solar system titled "Search For Second Earth." I wish I had written down the formula that predicted the likelihood of another planet like ours existing. (If memory serves me right, it is within the first few chapters of Michael Crighton's "Sphere.") Even if I did write it down, this blog would not be capable of me re-creating all the important squiggles.
They discuss a telescope that they are piecing together that will soon enter space and be free of the distortion of the Earth's atmosphere much like Hubble. It should launch sometime next year.
The excitement presented in this program rivaled that of mine with such films as "Contact," where-in Jodi Foster's character searches for intelligent extra terrestrial life while struggling with the existence of God. The movie is as much of a search for faith as it is other life. Some answers to the questions the film asks are left available only to the viewer to answer. I highly recommend it.
If the Earth was one percent away from or closer to the sun, life would probably not exist on it. It could potentially be void of water. Also, the tilt of the Earth is vital. The elliptical verses circular orbit is important. All of these factors made Earth the most ideal planet (known thus far) for housing life.
With all of these factors coming into existence all at the same point, how could someone in their right mind deny the existence of God? It just seems so evident that God was the one to first spin the Earth into it's perfect location.
Think about gravity. Newton had a lump on his head from an apple. He discovered it. We now take it for granted (until we drop something on our foot). We can measure it on our planet and other celestrial bodies. Yet, we don't know anything about it. Yup. The reason behind this important force is unknown. It's origins still, to this day, remain unknown. But, I'm pretty sure God knows.
My mind is still not made up on Evolution. Either it happened exactly as it did in the bible, or Intelligent Design occurred. I'm leaning a bit more to Intelligent Design. It seems that the middle of the road approach on this matter seems most reasonable. To have God decide when each species became another, I'm ok with that. At least up until someone says that we were chimps at one time. That one is a bit hard to swallow, being made in His image and all.
But, if at the pearly gates I'm asked what my thoughts are, the world in 6 days (God slept past noon on the 7th.) is the response I'm going with.
Even if someone believed in evolution, the amount of maybes that had to become yeses for us to be where we are today are HUGE! To go from nothing to our incredible capabilities today, well that sounds more like a God thing than a maybe.
Granted, 4.6 billion years have passed. We have been around for such a small fraction of this time. Maybe all of the past was building up to where we are today. The reason I think we are done is Jesus. While He was both God and Man 100%, he came to us during this point in our possible evolution. I'm pretty sure we are done. I highly doubt an extra set of arms of a greater mental capacity is coming right around the corner.
Essentially look around. Look at the diversity of life. Where we are today is amazing. The amount of variables that produced what we accept each day, without thinking twice about it, is astonishing. Is it chance? That is highly unlikely. It is evidence that God has given us another day to thank Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home